Apply at 1237 Magnolia St., BG. Mondays - Thursdays 7-3 pm or call 270-843-1692.
Seamstress Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities required of a seamstress vary by employer, but there are some common tasks the vast majority of seamstresses carry out. In general, they’re expected to do the following:
- Fit, Repair, and Alter Clothing - It is the job of the seamstress to take a customer’s measurements to fit, repair, or alter clothing to their specifications. While doing this, the seamstress must pay close attention to the type of fabric and the general construction of the garment they are working on.
- Construct Garments: Many seamstresses are responsible for constructing garments to the customer’s specifications. They must first estimate how much time and effort is needed to create the garment, and once this is done, they determine how much to charge.
- Measure Customers: Before any alterations can be made, seamstresses must carefully measure their customers. To do this, they use tape measures and other tools to ensure their measurements are correct. They may measure the width of a person’s chest, hips, and waist, as well as the length of their inseam.
- Advise Customers: There are numerous types of fabrics and patterns in the world, and fortunately, seamstresses have in-depth knowledge of many of them. When a customer needs an alteration or a garment, the seamstress shares this knowledge to help clients better understand their own needs.
- Maintain Sewing Equipment: Seamstresses use a variety of sewing machines and other items to perform their job. If these machines do not work properly, they have no way of making alterations. For this reason, seamstresses must perform routine maintenance on their sewing machines.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect to employment opportunities.